Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Street

Every December, Glen Arbor, an ordinary cul-de-sac at 1735 South 1500 East in Salt Lake City, Utah, becomes Christmas Street. 



One holiday season, when I was still young, my family went on a drive to see the lights, and Christmas Street was one of the places we went to.  I always remembered that street, and wanted to go back each year, but it was not until I was older, after I got married that I was able to go back.  My wife and I made it a tradition on Christmas Eve to take a drive to see the lights, and Christmas Street was a place we went each year.


Christmas Eve at Christmas Street is usually packed with cars, each driving slowly in and out of the cul-de-sac.  One year I wanted to get out of the car and walk around, and we did, despite the cold night air.



Fortunately, it was not a very cold night when I visited Christmas Street in mid-December last year to take pictures of the lights.


About a block to the west of Christmas Street is Christmas Story Street.  On this U-shaped street there are sign boards on the front lawn of each home with a verse or two of the Christsmas story.



To include each house on Christmas Story Street, some homes have the Beattitudes on their sign boards.


Family events on Christmas Eve have sometimes made it difficult to visit Christmas Street and Christmas Story Street.  Those years that we were unable to visit these streets, we have felt that something was missing from our celebration of Christmas.  At least I've got the pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment