Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Things I Do


A year ago, on the day of New Year's Eve, I stood on the shores of the Great Salt Lake, near the causeway that takes you out to Antelope Island, taking photographs.  It was a bitterly cold day, with temperatures in the 20s (Fahrenheit), and overcast.


The water levels of the lake are low after years of drought, and the snows of more recent and wetter winters have not raised the levels much.  Because of this there is no water near where I stand, only lake bottom covered with snow.


But there, to the west, the sun is trying to break through the clouds.


Perhaps, if I wait long enough, the sun might join me here on the shores of the Great Salt Lake.


"The things I do for a photograph," I say, "no, the things I do just in the hope of a good photo."  And I can't help but smile, for though I am freezing in the bitter cold, I am happy because I am doing something I love to do.


Then I wish that I could bottle this happiness so that I could feel it again later.



No comments:

Post a Comment